On 09/25/2012 11:25 PM, Robert Connolly wrote:
Hello.

I'm just looking for advice, not a howto. I realize this is not an OpenBSD
specific topic, but since I'm trying to get Linux and OpenBSD to cooperate,
anyone I ask for advice will refer me elsewhere.

I want to do backups of my Android phone whenever it is at home. The best
software package I know of for this is rsync. I own an ARM development
system (a Trim Slice), running Linux, and can therefore compile anything I
want for the Android phone (statically linked). I have a couple options,
that I can think of:

Run rsync's daemon on the phone, from a boot script. Configure hotplugd on
OpenBSD to run an rsync client when the phone connects via USB. I like this
idea because it reduces needed privileges on my laptop... I trust the phone
less than my laptop, so I would rather give my laptop access to the phone
than my phone access to my laptop. I dislike this idea because the phone
uses 5 watts while charging, and I would prefer to charge it from a
household outlet to reduce load on the laptop.

The second option is to run rsync's deamon on my laptop, and rsync from the
phone via an ifup script that checks the SSID. This works nice because I
can charge the phone from an outlet, and do the rsync wirelessly. This is
harder to secure though, because I would want the rsync client to have no
other access to my laptop.

Am I missing other considerations? Which of these two options is better?

There is an rsync client app in available for download.  I have used it
to sync to OBSD for over a year without a problem.