Missed the earlier part of this thread but...

If you su - to another userid the environment variable appears to get
unset. To the OP have you su'd or are do trying this immediately on login. I
am running 5.1-stable and current and $SSH_CLIENT is valid on both boxes.

--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
 against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD