On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Chris McGee <cmcge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>   I am hunting for a low-power firewall for my home network. For at least
> 10 years, whenever my firewall hardware has started to die, I've grabbed a
> decommissioned game PC, added a few NIC's, and put OpenBSD on it.  The
> firewall's current incarnation pulls about 160 watts 24/7; I'd like to
> lower that by a lot.
>
>   Requirements are:
>    1) Low power (<50w; I want it to pay for itself before the hardware dies)
>    2) 4 network interfaces (3 gigabit, one gigabit or 100mbps)
>    3) Cheaper is better (e.g., a $200 4-port PCIE NIC on a $75 motherboard
> is suboptimal)
>    4) Works with OpenBSD 5.2
>    5) Won't cause a hardware bottleneck when pushing 200mbps of
> multidirectional traffic through a moderately complex pf ruleset (this
> doesn't take a lot of CPU; a 1 GHz Athlon runs at about 2% under load, and
> most of that is from hardware interrupts).
>
>   It looks like a lot of people use the Alix 2D13 for this, but I rejected
> it for poor throughput (it would be great for the internet connection, but
> it sounds like it might be a serious bottleneck between the internal
> networks).

Are you open to purchasing a VLAN-capable switch for home use?  While
this might be considered overkill for home use, if you like data
networks, VLANs tend to be invaluable.  I did this years ago and I'm
quite pleased with the flexibility of my home network as a
result--that and my OpenBSD firewall at home is a used low-power
legacy notebook with a single GigE em NIC that I picked up for 75USD.

Cheers.