On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Alexander Hall <alexan...@beard.se> wrote:

> I still want to know the reason for all this. If it's for security, it sure
> feels ass-backwards and questionable at best.

it's useful for honeypot scenarios, with all proposed solutions so far
being influenced by either lazyness or desire to maintain a modicum of
portability with other unices. it's not useful for accounting on
regular accounts

the best balance between effort and results i believe is to extend the
ktrace hooks to switch on curproc uid and put a cap on the logfile.
what apis linux honeypot loggers use? do they sufficiently resemble
ktrace? it's the only facility i see in openbsd besides systrace that
fits the bill of already logging all sorts of io (not just pty)