On 2012-12-22, Friedrich Locke <friedrich.lo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> i have been using OpenBSD for about 10 years now. It is my OS of choice.
> But due to increasing demand in my working environment i would like to test
> cluster technologies using OpenBSD.
>
> Here is what i need:
>
> File Systems,
> web,
> dns,
> Ldap,
> email
> kerberos
>
> I have some ideias about what i could use: For instance, for email service,
> i could use openldap+qmail,

OpenLDAP+Postfix+Dovecot works pretty well for mail.

>                             for kerberos it is easy to have propagation
> performed and have the same weight in the DNS record for kdc service in my
> domain.
>
> But for other services i don't have now what i could use. A example: i need
> a file system that must expand by adding more machine in the network in a
> simple way. I was studying OpenAFS, but OBSD 5.1 only support it for i386,
> not amd64. Is there any alternative to it ?
> Does anybody here use OpenAFS on OpenBSD ? Does it scale well ? What about
> GlusterFS ? What would it be a better choice ?

I'm not sure if there's anything really good in this area for OpenBSD.
GlusterFS requires FUSE.

> What about cluster with dns ? Could i use djbdns ?

You can use any DNS server software, you don't need anything special,
you can just use CARP to get packets to the correct machine (or if you're
in an environment using OSPF then using ospfd to announce a /32 is an
alternative which works well if you want geographical diversity).

I wouldn't recommend anybody use djbdns for a new installation.

>                                                    And web stuff ?

One method is to run CARP on the boxes and just use that to handle
distributing the traffic. Alternatively use a (possibly clustered)
frontend running a proxy (relayd, nginx, varnish, ...) which gives
more options (e.g. serve static files locally and pass requests for
generated pages to a pool of backend machines).

> I would like to get in touch with some one from the community that already
> faced such requirements using OpenBSD of course.

Apart from filesystems, the things you're asking for are not really
OS-specific.