On 12/26/12 19:38, Live user wrote:
> When using (S)hell from live cd installer,

the what?
the /install CD/ produced by the OpenBSD project?
or a "live cd" that someone else produces?  I'm going to assume you mean
the install CD...which is in no way to be confused with what people
traditionally call a live" CD.

> # gzip something > file.gz
> gzip: compression not supported

right.  compression is not something that the install media has to do --
it's a decompression tool only.

> # tar -jcvf archive.bz2 something
> tar: could not exec bzip2: No such file or directory

bzip2 isn't on the install disks at all, nor is it part of the base system.

> Is this intentional?

quite.

In the case of i386, sparc and some other platforms, the installer image
is crafted to fit within a single 1.44MB floppy.

A complete OpenBSD install is a few hundreds of MB.

Obviously a few things need to be left out or minimized.  Every byte
counts on the install images, it really does.

Now, if you really mean someone's "live CD", then yes, maybe you have
grounds to complain...to them, not to us.

Nick.