On 12/27/12 05:57, lilit-aibolit wrote:
> On 12/27/2012 12:29 PM, Wesley wrote:
>> Le 2012-12-27 14:15, lilit-aibolit a écrit :
>>> Hello misc.
>>> I have a /home at old system and I want
>>> to install new one from scratch.
>>> But I need to save all data in /home without
>>> moving it out of box.
>>> As I understood I need to stop at this point:
>>>
>>> Use (W)hole disk or (E)dit the MBR? [whole]
>>
>> At this prompt, hit Ctrl+C or "!" and
>> Why don't you mount a second disk and backup /home to
>> this one? just before fdisk part.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Wesley
>>

>> .
>>
> For example I don't have physical access or second disk.
> Or I have a situation when I need to roll back to previous
> 5.1 system version and then probably to 5.0 due to
>
> Dec 11 14:13:38 gw /bsd: rum0: device timeout
> Dec 11 14:13:39 gw /bsd: rum0: could not transmit buffer: TIMEOUT
>
> In 5.0 I had no problem with rum0 in AP mode, but in 5.2 I have.

well...  you need to get a bug report in; I see no bug reports on rum
issues in over a year.  That's the real problem here.  Reverting is not
a good answer here.

As for your question...

Before reinstalling, make note of where all your partitions are mounted
currently.

For a reinstall, the fdisk prompt will include "Existing OpenBSD
partition" or something along those lines...you will chose that (the
default).

After that, you will be brought to the disklabel options -- you want to
chose CUSTOM Layout.  Define a mount point for all partitions you wish
to reformat, do NOT define mount points for the /home partition or any
others you wish to retain.  You aren't marking "don't reformat"
partitions, you need to mark where all partitions will be mounted,
leaving out the ones you wish to retain.

After you complete your install, edit your /etc/fstab to point to your
old /home partition, mount it (I'd suggest a reboot), done.

btw: you will want to practice this locally on a "test" system first.

Nick.