On Jan 02 23:02:02, com...@daknet.org wrote:
> >Is anybody using an USB-to-serial connection to an ALIX?
>
> Yes i am. We have many Alix 2D13 boards that we use as routers
> running OpenBSD 5.2 on many sites. I use a USB-to-serial cable to
> configure them without problem but i've never used anything else
> than screen or minicom. You could try with these tools...

screen is a multiplexing (text)window manager which you can
run on the remote machine once you are logged in. screen itself
does no remote connection, so I believe it's irrelevant here.

I haven;t used minicom yet - I use cu(1), and now am looking at tip(1).
But I don't think my problem is cu's or tip's problem. Also I would
like to stay in base.

> The default baud rate on alix boards is 38400 but can be changed in
> cmos setup if you want (pressing S during memory test).

I forgot whether 38400 was the default or I changed it to that,
but at any rate (ha, pun) that's what is working from any
(non-USB) serial port.

So I speculate that my problem is with the ucom,
not with the connecting software tools above.