J Moore wrote:
OpenNTPd is working as expected. It is using adjtime(2) to skew the clock, not set it -- in your case, it is slowing it down until it is synced.

Hmmm... OK - I read man for adjtime(2), and I appreciate your explanation with skewing vs setting. However, the output says "adjusting local clock by XX s"... that seems pretty straightforward to me. I think the output is just misleading; it should say:
"adjusting local clock to reduce error of XXs"

If you told someone you were adjusting their clock by 60 seconds, I think most English-speaking people would conclude that you just changed the clock by a value of 60 seconds - not that I am making an incremental adjustment in your clock to reduce the amount of error such that it is less than 60 seconds.

It is changing it by 60 seconds, but very slowly. While still adjusting (remember, slowly), the time is checked again, and readjusted (slowly).

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=110201623230329&w=2

Not really worth discussing again, since Henning voted ``no'' (kinda).

/Alexander