On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 1:14 AM, Jeremie Le Hen <jere...@le-hen.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 07:12:23PM +0100, Marc Espie wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 11:04:08AM -0600, Maximo Pech wrote:
>> >
>> > They mandate that on all shell scripts we have to use absolute paths for
>> > every single command.
>>
>> That does provide ways less security than setting the PATH to a system-only
>> path at the beginning of your script.
>
> Can you elaborate on this?  From a security point of view only, this
> looks to me as a draw.  If you consider the portability issues then
> sure, setting PATH is better.

You cut out his next paragraph which gives an example of why:

>> Sure, you invoke programs with an absolute path, but have you checked that
>> those programs don't invoke other programs with execvp ?

Hard coding depends on you to actually hard code EVERYWHERE, including
in paths and commands passed to *other* commands executed from the
script that you write.  If you screw up and miss one, you lose.  Set
PATH and you can't miss one.

Philip Guenther