Quoting Friedrich Locke <friedrich.lo...@gmail.com>:

Hi,

i am trying to get openldap running, but my experience has been not that
good.
I have built and installed from ports. I can get it up and running but as
soon as qmail tries to bind into it, it begins to consume memory up to all
my available memory.

I asked for help in the openldap mailing list and they got baffled, pretty
baffled.
I was told that in linux some special flags need to be supplied to BDB in
order to get it working well.
What about OpenBSD ? Have you tryied qmail-ldap + openldap on OBSD ? Faced
anything similar ?
I am aware that this problem persist from about two years ago, when i tried
to get them working and the same problem arose.
I waited beleving it would be fixed in a near future ...

I am really interested in get it solved, although i have no knownledge on
BDB internals ......

I am willing to hear ....

Thanks in advance.

I have been using OpenLDAP on OpenBSD (OpenLDAP 2.4.12 on OpenBSD 4.7 i386 as well as OpenLDAP 2.4.26 on OpenBSD 4.9 amd64) without any problems for a few years now.

I use sendmail as MTA and use the LDAP database for vacation, address books, distribution lists, etc. OpenLDAP also is used to authorize Windows users. dovecot users, iphone and blackberry users etc. I use BDB so that syncrepl etc. works well.

Since knowledgeable people have mentioned that there are problems with newer versions of LDAP, I wonder if it is advisable for you to use the older versions on OpenBSD to run OpenLDAP. Not sure, just a thought. Since the ports.tar.gz file is on the CD, you may be able to build the older packages even though they are obsolete and not available at the OpenBSD FTP site.

Vijay

Vijay Sankar, M.Eng., P.Eng.
ForeTell Technologies Limited
vsan...@foretell.ca

This message was sent using ForeTell-POST 4.9