On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 11:18:37PM -0500, Alan Corey wrote:
> They seem to work for my programs, but I'm trying to use rtl_fm from
> the osmocom group at http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr.  This
> machine boots into OpenBSD and an old Debian Linux and the program
> runs fine under Linux.  If I can figure out how to make it work under
> OpenBSD I'd like to submit some ifdefs for it.
>
> The program is for software defined radio using a $20 dongle plugged
> into a USB port that tunes 24 - 1700 MHz.  It works under Linux and
> Windows, but under OpenBSD the demodulation doesn't keep up with the
> incoming data. The driver uses a callback routine when it has data,
> which does a sem_post that should enable a demodulation thread.  It
> works after a fashion, but by the time it starts 5 or 6 more batches
> of data have come along and most of them get lost (in OpenBSD).  I
> think maybe I need to change the priority on the thread if possible.
>
> I posted this question originally to StackOverflow:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14392158/pthread-priority-scheduling-under-openbsd
>
> Have I run into one of the shortcomings of pthreads as implemented in
> 5.0?

Maybe, but 5.0 is not supported anymore (and the first suggestion would
by to try a new snapshot). We've switched to a completely different
threading model in 5.2.  See http://www.openbsd.org/52.html#new
Due to this, it makes even less sense to start looking into issues on
5.0.

> I'll probably upgrade to 5.3 when it comes out, but that
> involves hours of sitting in a car using a public WiFi connection
> which I don't plan to do until warmer weather.

Not sure what you're doing, but an update on a system that is properly
maintained takes probably 30 minutes, less if you have some practise.
You could also pull down the files and do the actual update at home.
It's more work the longer you wait...