[EMAIL PROTECTED] Tue, 15 Nov 2005 08:20:07

>On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 10:23:00AM +0100, the unit
>calling itself Henning Brauer wrote:
>> >
>> >     'adjusting local clock by XXs'
>> >
>> > The word 'by' is a preposition with a specific
>meaning in the context of
>> > its use... it means "in the amount of"... but
>that's not what it means
>> > here, is it? No, it does not. Therefore, the
>log entry is *inaccurate*.
>>
>> it is perfectly accurate. it says "adjusting by",
>and that is what it
>> does.
>> it does not say "hard setting" or anything.
>> I won't change the log message, case closed.
>
>It *is* an inaccurate statement of what ntpd is
>doing to the system's
>time. ntpd is your product - if you're happy with
>this little flaw, then
>that's fine - leave it as is. But again, "The
>emperor has no clothes!"
>
>Jay
>
>PS - It would seem "mind closed" would be more
>accurate description of
>this situation than "case closed", eh?

The message is 'adjusting local clock by XXs'
The message is NOT 'adjusted local clock by XXs'

It's been a long time since English classes, but seems like
'adjusted' refers to something that has been done,
while 'adjusting' refers to an ongoing operation.
There is no reason to assume that something that
'adjustinjg' refers to a completed operation.