Theo,

A company called Traverse manufacture an ADSL card called the Pulsar. Presently they have a open source linux driver, a beta FreeBSD driver and a beta OpenBSD driver (http://sourceforge.net/projects/openadsl). I am using this card for the WAN side of a firewall box running OpenBSD 3.7.

However the OpenBSD driver seems somewhat unstable currently (it is beta after all), the Open Source driver has a mailing list on sourceforge with participation from Guy Ellis (employed by Traverse and wrote the original Linux driver). I have been discusing with Guy getting an improved OpenBSD driver, unfortunately he is not very familiar with OpenBSD and the original OpenBSD beta driver was developed by a contractor.

I read an article recently on OpenBSD and your good-self (I forget where), about trying to get better driver support for OpenBSD and working with manufacturers to acheive this; I think this was mainly around WiFi cards but I guess the same goes for all hardware really. As far as I know there are no ADSL cards currently supported by OpenBSD and so this could be a good oportunity for both parties?

I asked Guy Ellis, if Traverse would consider donating some ADSL cards to OpenBSD developers in exchange for them helping to develop a decent OpenBSD driver from the beta one. His response is below -

>> In principle I am happy to run with this. However the main problem is that the purists will not accept a driver that isn't 100% Open Source. Since the firmware and Globespan proprietary routines are in a library they will probably tell you to go away. If not let me know.

Is it truly the case that you will tell them to go away? and if so do you know where I could contact OpenBSD developers who may be interested in participating in development of the Open Source portion of the driver?

Thanks

Adam Retter
(a OpenBSD newbie!)