I have to agree on all these points. PF is the absolute best firewall I've
used on any platform. Not only is it the simplest to configure but it has
superior logging facilities.

I'd much rather not have any ISP tell me what traffic I can or cannot
receive. If you do that, say goodbye to open internet access or they'll do
what other unnamed ISPs are currently doing  *ahem*comast*ahem* and tell
you how much data you can use, what mail ports are open - nevermind if you
use any third party mail servers, what times of the day you get more
bandwidth, etc.

Learning how to setup your own security is beneficial for all anyway.