On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 05:15:35PM -0500, Bryan Horstmann-Allen wrote:
> I apologize this is off-topic, but I'm somewhat close to the illumos project
> and would like to correct a few things.
>
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | On 2013-02-21 22:12:45, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> |
> | > So, long story short, I do not see any option to use ZFS on a free system.
>
> This is not correct, as Jeremie notes below. Here's some delicious pudding
> proof, though.
>
> https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/tree/master/usr/src/uts/common/fs/zfs
>
> There is zero reason not to have ZFS in a free system. Consider its inclusion
> in FreeBSD.
>
> (I can't really imagine its inclusion in OpenBSD, though. License arguments
> are
> incredibly boring, but it just doesn't seem at all likely.)

The problem with licenses is different between FreeBSD/NetBSD/Linux and
OpenBSD. FreeBSD uses a extra layer for compatibility with opensolaris
and they have support for loadable kernel modules. NetBSD uses a similar
approach.

ZFS on Linux uses FUSE, I don't know if they also use a extra layer for
compatibility with opensolaris.

OpenBSD doesn't have support for loadable kernel modules or FUSE, so
OpenBSD should include the code inside of the kernel. This is a big
difference with FreeBSD/NetBSD/Linux.

Also FreeBSD had adapted their kernel for the peculiarities of ZFS. Did
you try the first version of FreeBSD with ZFS?. The performance was
horrible.

Here in the BSD world, we have HAMMER, a good alternative with a license
compatible and a reasonable requirements.

If ZFS had a license compatible, the problem would be the same of
HAMMER, someone should do the job. I think the most of OpenBSD
developers already have a to-do big enough

--
Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info