On 02/22/2013 01:00 PM, Brandon Tanner wrote:
Hello,

This is my first time posting to this list. I am wanting to setup a
softraid 1 array, with two 3TB drives. Every guide or howto I can find
though is about installing onto such an array. My case however, the boot
drive is on its own, a 250GB'er. I simply want to create the array with
softraid, mount it at /storage, and use it. Does anyone know of any guides
that cover this kind of scenario?

man bioctl.

I also have a few questions about what I read so far.

1. a few guides talk about using the MAKEDEV shell script. Do I still need
to use that for my scenario?

oy. You have to understand what you are doing...not just type things randomly that you find on the 'net...

(I sometimes get tempted to post a page (anonymously, of course) of "tips" for people to do... all of which being slightly obfuscated versions of major data loss instructions, such as "rm -rf /" or "format c:", to use as a way to encourage people to understand what they are typing. Other times, looking at some of the crap on the 'net, I see people have beat me to it, unintentionally)

2. Also, since my target array will not be a bootable array, do I still
need to fdisk -yi the devices? I read in the FAQ that fdisk won't report
the sizes correctly, but that I shouldn't worry though, since disklabel
with the b option will cover it.

why would you not want to do the fdisk step?
Can you live without it?...well, if done perfectly, probably. I'd suggest just following the man page... If you got to ask, just do it right. If you understand, you will probably opt to do it right, too.

3. My two identical 3TB drives are sd1 and sd2, and bioctl reported that
sd3 is created. I ran newfs -O 2 on it, and that seemed to work. I can't
figure out how to mount it though. mount /dev/rsd3c /storage says something
about block device required.

um. you ran newfs on what?
yes, you created sd3...but you still have to fdisk it, disklabel it, and THEN you can format the partitions.

And, you don't use the 'c' partition as a file system. ever. Just don't. (and for those in the peanut gallery who say, "but I got away with it!", no, it just didn't bite you yet).

See FAQ14...

you can skip the "-O2", unless you are making an under-sized partition you may later want to growfs to FFS2 size.

Nick.