I got it working!!!

What Joel said was key. I had probably done it wrong the first time (didn't
use the b option in disklabel), and everytime I re-tried it after that, I
wasn't starting from scratch (zero'ing the two raid drives). So I booted
the SeaTools for DOS CD, and zero'ed the two 3TB drives this time, and then
re-installed with the March 1, 2013 snapshot of 5.3 (don't think this is
what fixed it though), and did the same procedure in my first post, and now
it works! When Joel said that, the light just went on in my head, cause I
had been wondering how to reverse the procedure and start over, but had
only been using the 'z' option in disklabel, and had only dd if=/dev/zero
the resulting softraid volume, not the 2 real volumes each time I started
over to try again.

A warm Thanks to everyone for their input.

Also, about the 4k sectors, I think Ken is right, I think Seagate's
smartalign technology takes care of it all behind the scenes so to speak,
and the OS still sees 512 byte sectors.

Might be worth a mention in the FAQ or something that if you don't setup
raid1 correctly the first time, to start over, you need to detach the raid
using bioctl, clear the disklabels, zero the raid volumes, and reinit them
in fdisk?

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Kenneth R Westerback <kwesterb...@rogers.com