On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM, James Griffin <j...@kontrol.kode5.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have decided to sell my Mac computer as I'm totally skint, being a
> student. But, I would like to preserve the Music and Videos I've got on
> it -- mainly from iTunes -- and transfer them to my OpenBSD system so I
> can play them.
>
> Is it simply a case of creating a tar file of the music files and
> copying them over? Will the encoding (mostly mp4, mp4 and mp4a) be ok to
> use "as-is" or will I need to do some extra processing on them using
> some tool or other? I've got mplayer and vlc player installed which I
> hope I can use to play them, etc.
>
> Has anyone had experience with this type of thing and able to offer some
> info about the steps, if any, I need to take?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help offered.
>
> Best wishes, James.

I would say VLC can play almost anything. One problem would be DRM
though, if you bought stuff from iTunes that has DRM, those files are
locked to your iTunes/Mac/Apple ID (not sure which one it is)

Just go ahead and copy the files before you sell it and test it out on
OpenBSD. There are ways around DRM, for example in iTunes burn the
songs to a CD and then rip them, DRM free.