Quoting Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org>:

On 2013-04-03, Vijay Sankar <vsan...@foretell.ca> wrote:
The following system runs -current from January 2013 without any
problems. But attempts to install from the past few snapshots have
failed.

Installation of April 2, 2013 -current went through without any issues
but upon first reboot, the console was blank, I could not access the
system using SSH and it does not respond to pings.

How far do you get before the console goes blank, does the kernel start
and print text, and then go blank part-way through booting?

To help narrow things down, do you get further if at the boot loader
you do this:

boot -c
disable inteldrm
quit

It looks like there is a header for a serial port on the motherboard,
if you have a connector somewhere and can hook it up via null modem to
another machine you might get more information (e.g. if it panics while
switching video mode you'll be able to get a trace).

Thank you so much. That was exactly it. For the past two days, I was poring through all the messages re. UEFI boot and so on and was going in the wrong direction. Once I disabled inteldrm I am able to use the system now without any problems.

Not sure whether this is worthy of your time but if there are any logs or debug information I can provide, I will be happy to do that.

Thanks again,

Vijay

Vijay Sankar, M.Eng., P.Eng.
ForeTell Technologies Limited
vsan...@foretell.ca

This message was sent using ForeTell-POST 4.9