Quoting Erling Westenvik <erling.westen...@gmail.com>:

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 06:28:23PM -0500, Vijay Sankar wrote:
I am trying to replace an Apple Extreme base station with an OpenBSD
router and tried quite a few Linksys/Cisco, D-Link etc., wireless
USB adapters but none of them seem to support hostap mode.
Everything I tried uses run, urtw, or urtwn and the stores around
here don't seem to have any USB wireless NIC that uses ral or rum.

What currently available wireless USB adapter would support hostap?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

If you can get hold on one, try the D-link DWL-G122 USB dongle (rum).

rum0 at uhub0 port 5 "Ralink 802.11 bg WLAN" rev 2.00/0.01 addr 2
rum0: MAC/BBP RT2573 (rev 0x2573a), RF RT2528, address 00:22:b0:ec:d1:6f

I unplugged and turned off my old Zyxel wifi router for the last time
yesterday after finally managing to have a working OpenBSD hostap
solution up and running. The day before yesterday I had decided to give
hostap all up after several months of trying various PCI cards, PCMCIA
cards and USB adapters without any luck. (ral,acx,urtw,ath)

Anyway, I deciced to make on last attempt and plugged the DWL-G1222 into
a newer machine running current. Despite that the man page says hostap
mode for rum is "discouraged", it worked like a dream. The first 24
hours I tested the network by connecting all my wifi-equipment (one
phone and three laptops, running Android, OpenBSD and Win7, and had all
of them playing non stop music streamed from my mpd server for more than
24 hours. To me, the DWL-G122 has proved itself to be stable and with
very good signal strenght and speed.

I have previously not managed to get this adapter to work on very old
machines.  Like, on an 10 year old Compaq EVO D510 (Pentium 2.4GHz), I
can only connect one client to rum in hostap mode regardless of which
OpenBSD version the machines runs. When attempting to connect more
clients, the adapter disconnects and must be brought up again manually
with ifconfig.  My guess is that this must have something to do with the
USB controller on the machine.

Regards

Erling

Thank you very much. I will try to get the DWL-G122. If not, as Ted Unangst suggested, I will set the Apple Extreme in bridge mode.

Vijay Sankar, M.Eng., P.Eng.
ForeTell Technologies Limited
vsan...@foretell.ca

This message was sent using ForeTell-POST 4.9