On May 1, 2013 5:54:32 AM EDT, Yoshihisa Matsushita <y...@m8a.org> said:

> From: Tim Leonard <tim.leon...@charter.net>
> Subject: Netatalk (Apple Filing Protocol) daemon replies "Something wrong
> with the volume's CNID DB"
> Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 22:36:40 -0400
>
>> I'm having a problem using Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) services provided by
>> netatalk on OpenBSD, from an OS X Mountain Lion client.
>>
>> I have OpenBSD 5.2 running on an old iMac, with the netatalk-2.2.3p0 package.
>> I made no changes to the default configuration beyond editing
>> /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf to assign the server its name and IP address.
>> I started afpd (the AFP daemon provided by netatalk).
>
> My guess is you forgot starting cnid_metad with afpd.
>
> Try:
>
> $ sudo /etc/rc.d/cnid_metad start
> $ sudo /etc/rc.d/afpd start
>
> and see if this solves the problem.
>

> Basically afpd and cnid_metad are meant to be used together.
> Try 'man cnid_metad' for more details.

Yes, that solved the problem.
(Though I first had to stop an instance of afpd that was already running.)

> By the way,
>
> pkg_scripts="afpd cnid_metad"
>
> is what you want in your rc.conf.local. 'man rc.conf.local'
> and 'man rc.d' are your friends.

The man pages were a great help.
In order to make sure that cnid_metad gets started first during system startup,
I instead listed the two daemons in the other order in /etc/rc.conf.local:
pkg_scripts="cnid_metad afpd"