Scott McEachern wrote:
2) Do you mean there could still be data residing on unused parts of the SSD? Yes, it can happen.
Yes, this is what I'm referring to. I was hoping there was some way to instruct the drive controller that the entire drive space is "free"?

SSDs have their own way of wear-leveling. What the filesystem considers to be cylinder X, head Y and sector Z will probably not be the same *physical* cells on the SSD twice in a row. That's not a function of the OS, but the SSD itself.
I understand. That's why I'm concerned about #2 above.

Would dd'ing to the drive all 1s then all 0s be effective?

I see Intel has an SSD Toolbox that does "secure erase". It requires windows so I am unable to check it out.

www.intel.com/go/ssdtoolbox

I wonder what this utility does to achieve "secure erase"? Can we replicate its functionality with standard Unix tools?