Richard:

Not sure if I'm using the base apache or 2.2.  Here's what
httpd -V is showing me:

Wed May 22 17:50
contract:~$ httpd -V
Server version: Apache/1.3.29 (Unix)
Server's Module Magic Number: 19990320:15
Server compiled with....
 -D EAPI
 -D HAVE_MMAP
 -D HAVE_SHMGET
 -D USE_MMAP_SCOREBOARD
 -D USE_MMAP_FILES
 -D HAVE_FLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D HAVE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=64
 -D HARD_SERVER_LIMIT=256
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/var/www"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/sbin/suexec"
 -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="logs/httpd.pid"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/httpd.scoreboard"
 -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="logs/httpd.lock"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
 -D TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"
 -D ACCESS_CONFIG_FILE="conf/access.conf"
 -D RESOURCE_CONFIG_FILE="conf/srm.conf"

I stopped at 5.0 because I figured that if I was having
problems at this point pushing it further might create more until I get
them resolved.  If I'm wrong about that I'll certainly push it up to
5.3.  I've got another machine here that I've installed 5.2 on
recently, I'll take that one up to 5.3 just to get used to it (it's not
a server machine).
I do understand the 'chroot' concept, not sure how exactly it's
applicable in this case; despite the fact that I believe httpd is
chrooted to /var/www, I do know that php exists under this tree in its
/usr/local/bin and the libphp5 file exists there where it should as
well, I believe.
I have also bumped up the php error reporting but I can't seem
to find much about it in the applicable logfiles (/var/log/messages,
/var/www/logs/error_log, etc).
Truncating the previous discussion as I'm assuming that you've
got logs of what's going on here.  Thank you for the help!