On Sat, Jun 01, 2013 at 07:38:50AM +0100, MD wrote:
> Recently obtained WD7500-BPKT (750g) hard drive that apparently
> possesses Advanced Format technology.
> On Intel D525MW board through ACPI.
>
> On installation of 5.3-release, offered FFS (not FFS2) - ok ;-)
>
> First partition auto-aligned at sector 64.
> I did not ensure partitions were at 4k multiples. Naughty!
>
> Will Advanced Format Just Work(TM)?
>
> disklabel seemed to broadly (rather than precisely) follow
> my 4.0g, 12.0g, etc. partition sizes
> OR do I need to go back in, use Expert mode now, and
> MAKE SURE those partitions are exact multiples of 8 sectors
> i.e. 64 to 2097216 = 1.0g for /?
>
> I probably need to DBAN it again anyway but maybe I don't...
>
> I can only find David Gwynne's comments on this so far...
> Your observations much appreciated.
>
> Mike
>
> P.S. I ignored the suggestion of only formatting 300g for /home
> and forced the whole lot at the end ;-) I expect I should have
> aligned the end of this too? (You numpty, Mike!)

You do not show the dmesg so it's impossible to tell what the
kernel thinks the drive is claiming.

If the drive claims to be using 512-byte sectors, everything should
work but potentially be slow due to the drive compensating for
i/o into the middle of 4K sectors.

If the drive is claiming to be using 4K sectors then the partitions
should all have been automatically adjusted to start on 4K boundaries.

.... Ken