On 2013-07-12 Fri 23:12 PM |, Thomas Reiter wrote:

> would you mind to share how you have solved the problem?
> otherwise someone has to ask the same question some day.

Of course Thomas, but as each piece of hardware is different, I doubt
what worked in this case will be transferable.....

I first began by trying Wake on LAN with pointers from
https://calomel.org/wakeonlan.html

Although the NIC's WOL cable was connected & the BIOS claimed WOL
support, it wouldn't bring the box up. Eventually I discovered
ifconfig(8)'s notes re WOL & established that the cheap card didn't
actually support WOL:

$ ifconfig rl0 hwfeatures | fgrep hwfeatures
        hwfeatures=10<VLAN_MTU> hardmtu 1500
$ sudo ifconfig rl0 wol
        ifconfig: SIOCSIFXFLAGS: Not supported

So I started experimenting via the serial port & then the power button.

With Nick's suggestions about the power button, I thought that'd be the
quickest route, so opened the box again, removed the WOL cable & noticed
some motherboard settings. That jogged my mind to Nick's comments about
just because the BIOS claims to do something, doesn't mean it will. With
random inspiration I decided to have another look at the BIOS, & now
there was an option to have the box auto power on. So whether I nudged a
DIP switch or otherwise jiggled something, I can't be sure.

Anyway, Nick was right, as "I'll tell you how to figure it out."

Job done, in unspectacular style.

Onwards,
--
Craig Skinner | http://twitter.com/Craig_Skinner | http://linkd.in/yGqkv7