Evan Root writes:
> Hello  Misc,
> I tried man 5 man for an explanation of the synopsis section of the man
> page and it says there isn't a manual for the file format conventions of
> manual pages. Sometimes I have difficulty with the syntax of the synopsis
> sections, is there a document I can refer to?

OpenBSD manuals are written in the mdoc macro language. There is a page
describing it, in section 7 (not 5). It is mentioned in the "SEE ALSO"
section of man(1).

man 7 mdoc

There is also a man(7) page, describing the older "man" macros, but these
are not used for new manuals in OpenBSD. mdoc has the advantage of being
a semantic format, unlike the old man language where the commands mostly
change only the presentation.

--
Anthony J. Bentley