You are spot on in your observation that MySQL is not OpenBSD.  I used
the lesson I learned in that succinct assertion to realize the distinction
between a pkg-readme and a manual page, i.e., a pkg-readme is not a
manual page, even if an OpenBSD developer wrote the pkg-readme!

Please pardon me for misappropriating words that pertain to manual pages
from the "Welcome to OpenBSD x.x!" new install mail message to misapply
them to a pkg-readme.  To ensure that I don't mislead Mr. Ferguson, or
any other new user of OpenBSD, I pasted below the context of the section
of the "Welcome to OpenBSD x.x!" message from which I so carelessly
borrowed in case anyone may have overlooked it:

"Again, PLEASE READ THE MANUAL PAGES.  Our developers have spent countless
hours improving them so that they are clear and precise."

I didn't mean to imply that perfection had been attained in the various
forms of OpenBSD documentation, but, in my limited experience with
OpenBSD, I have always been very impressed with the high quality of
the OpenBSD documentation.  OpenBSD documentation is so good, I never
even thought to ask a question on @misc.  Perhaps I should have, but,
based on what I now know, I see that I didn't need to ask; I just had
to read what was right in front of me.  I believe what Mr. de Raadt
expresses so sincerely in the "Welcome to OpenBSD x.x!" mail message
regarding manual pages, and I think it best to follow his instructions
and trust that he and the developers know what they're doing.  As I
learn and grow with OpenBSD, I may one day enjoy the privilege of
contributing improvements to OpenBSD.  I may not.  It's just not easy
to stand on the shoulders of giants, even if fallibly human.  Certainly,
room for improvement will always exist in every endeavor.

I had hoped merely to assist Mr. Ferguson by instructing him to read the
mysql-server-5.1.71v0 pkg-readme written by an OpenBSD developer for
those who want to know precisely what to do in order to run mysql-server
on their OpenBSD system as indicated by the title of the mysql-server
pkg-readme.

I hope also that what I've written above might encourage every new user
of OpenBSD to READ the OpenBSD provided documentation regarding their
specific installation before they prematurely post their questions to
the list.  Thank you for your kind clarification on the comments I made
previously about OpenBSD documentation.

Respectfully,

Gilbert