On 04/09/13 21:33, Todd T. Fries wrote:
Penned by andy on 20130904 15:21.22, we have:
| Hi, one last question.
|
| I am reading through lots of examples and documentation on OpenBSD and v6
| and most seem to refer to adding the v6 address to /etc/hostname.X as an
| 'alias', e.g.;
| inet 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
| inet6 alias fec0:2029:f001:128::40 64
|
| I have our test setup working now without the 'alias' directive, so should
| it have an 'alias' or not?
|
| I cannot see that it should, as its not an inet alias. The interface has
| one inet, and one inet6.
|
| If there were any additional inet or inet6 lines then those lines should
| have the alias directive, but why should the first inet6 have an 'alias'
| when it is not an alias address to the v4 address?
|
| Sorry to obsess about the details on this but want to get this completely
| correct in the eyes of the developers?
|
| Cheers, Andy.

At one point itojun@ had told me that the first IPv6 address is the link
local, all others are aliases.  ifconfig(8) would actually warn if you
did not use the 'alias' syntax when there was an existing address.  This
warning has subsequently been removed.

Ahhh, that makes perfect sense! Thank you very much :)

It has been since stated in this thread that 'ifconfig X inet6 2001:db8::1'
unconditionally adds that as an alias.

Note this is different than the IPv4 case where without an alias it would
remove the first IPv4 address while adding the new address to the end of
the interface list of addresses.

So it would seem 'inet6 alias 2001:db8::1' is not needed.  Experimenting
confirms this is the case.

My $.02 is that we should remove all mention of 'inet6 alias' in hostname.if(5)
while retaining the ability to handle it (e.g. in /etc/netstart).

Thanks,