On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Paul Yiu wrote:

> Hi Otto,
>
> >>I would like to see the output of userinfo pyiu. Added to that, the
> >>output of getcap -f /etc/login.conf class, where class is the login
> >>class of teh user, as reported by userinfo.
>
> login   pyiu
> passwd  WhatEverWasHere
> uid     1002
> groups  users wheel
> change  NEVER
> class
> gecos   Paul Yiu
> dir     /home/pyiu
> shell   /usr/local/bin/bash
> expire  NEVER
>
> pyiu do not assign to any class as shown above.
> -bash-3.00# getcap -f /etc/login.conf default
> default:        :path=/usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /usr/X11R6/bin
> /usr/local/bin:      :umask=022:     :datasize-max=256M:
> :datasize-cur=75M:      :maxproc-max=128:       :maxproc-cur=64:
> :openfiles-cur=64:      :stacksize-cur=4M:
> :localcipher=blowfish,6:        :ypcipher=old:  :auth=passwd,skey:
> :auth-ftp=passwd:
>
> >>Also, we need to see the exact command line used and errors reported.
> >>Not just some vague description.
>
> I use ssh.com client 3.2.9 to login as pyiu and type su to su as root
> and what has been capture in /var/log/authlog is
> Nov 21 11:27:02 openbsd1 su: BAD SU pyiu to root on /dev/ttyp0
> I can provide more details if necessery.

Sigh. Exact details please. Does su print "Sorry"? Or anything else?

Some things you can do to isolate the problem:

1. Login on console as pyiu and try to su.
2. When logged in, ssh to localhost as pyiu and then try to su

Please give exact reports on what is printed on screen and written to
authlog in these cases.

If that does not give a clue, I might need to add some debug code to
su to see what is going on.

        -Otto