On 09/12/13 02:59, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
Hi,

I've noticed that the sudo on OpenBSD seems to have !ttytickets set by
default. In other words, I authenticate sudo once on, say, ttyp4, and
all of my login sessions on all my other ttyp* have authenticated to
sudo.

This, well, kind of surprised me. I'm sure you folks have thought this
through in much more detail than I have, but I can't find anything on
the rationale behind it.

It seems insecure. Can anyone enlighten me as to the thinking here?

Thanks,
==ml

FWIW, I tend to append this to /etc/sudoers:

- - - -
# Local settings
Defaults        passprompt="Sudo password (%u@%h):", \
                tty_tickets, \
                passwd_timeout=0, \
                timestamp_timeout=60

%wheel  ALL=(ALL:ALL) SETENV: ALL
- - - -

Meaning I do use the 'per-tty' sudo ticket, extending the timeout to 60 minutes. Some issues remain though;

- Making sure to 'sudo -k' on leaving the shell (or, rather, tty).
  'trap' helps here, at least a bit, but I'm not sure I catch 100%
  of the cases.
- If you don't have a tty (ssh -T $HOST sudo $whatever), calling it
  again won't prompt for a password. (sudo -k $whatever would, however)

I'm sure there are more potential flaws with the setup. Call it security by obscurity if you please, but it makes me feel a tad better about upping the timeout.

The passprompt change is really helpful at times though, not to be mistaken for an ssh password, a sudo password on another machine or sth else.

/Alexander