Ok, thanks for the help.
Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE
network.

From: Marc EspieSent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:24 PMTo: Richard
ThorntonReply To: espie@nerim.netCc: OpenBSD general usage listSubject:
Re: general ports question

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 06:16:20PM -0400, Richard Thornton wrote:
> So if one has a 5.3 release system running, but finds a desired package
in
> say 5.1, will pkg_add work on this, assuming I adjust the PKG_PATH to
point
> to a 5.1 package folder? Or will doing this cause other instabilities?

The dependency mechanisms in pkg_add apply to the library of the base
system.

Meaning that if you manage to install a package from 5.1 on a "pure" 5.3
machine, your package has *no* dependency at all on any shared library
whatsoever from the base system.

So, yeah, you can install the books from 5.1. And some of the fonts.
That's about it.