I have an amd64 laptop (Thinkpad T60) whose /, /var, and /usr are
standard FFS partitions (dksklabel fstype 4.2BSD), while /home is
encrypted via softraid crypto: on boot I login as root, and run a perl
script which executes (with lots of error checking & optional logging)
  # sd0 is the built-in disk; sd0j has disklabel fstype RAID
  bioctl -c C -r 100000 -l /dev/sd0j softraid0
  mount -o softdep,noatime /dev/sd1a /home
This works nicely.

Now I want to set up a similarly-encrypted external USB backup disk
which I can access concurrently with my encrypted /home.  Since this
is to be a distinct physical disk, a distinct filesystem, and (presumably)
a distinct set of encryption parameters, I presume I need to use a
different softraid device from softraid0 (which is handling /home):
  # assume sd2 is the external disk, and sd2j has filesystem type RAID
  bioctl -c C -r 100000 -l /dev/sd2j softraid1
  mount -o softdep,noatime /dev/sd3a /mnt

Unfortunately, this doesn't work:  as of either 5.3-release or 5.1-stable
(GENERIC.MP in all cases), bioctl gives the error message
  # bioctl -c C -r 100000 -l /dev/sd2j softraid1
  bioctl: Can't locate softraid1 device via /dev/bio
Indeed, even a status-check on softraid1 fails:
  # bioctl softraid1
  bioctl: Can't locate softraid1 device via /dev/bio
and a quick grep through dmesg reveals only one softraid device
(softraid0) mentioned.

Question:  What's the right way to have multiple independent softraid
           crypto filesystems?
Question:  Which Fine Manual should I have read to learn this?
           I can't find any mention of this situation in softraid(4)
           or bioctl(8).

ciao,

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]"
<jth...@astro.indiana-zebra.edu>