On a computer running OpenBSD 5.3 system I am migrating from an isakmpd.conf based configuration to an ipsec.conf based configuration.

The tunnel comes up and works correctly when using isakmpd.conf but I can't get the tunnel to come up when I use ipsec.conf. As far as I can see ipsec.conf contains the same settings as the settings that are in isakmpd.conf.

The error message when using ipsec.conf is: attribute_unacceptable: ENCRYPTION_ALGORITHM: got AES_CBC, expected 3DES_CBC. This means the proposal from the peer does not match the configuration added by ipsecctl and isakmpd is trying to use its default settings.

I've double-checked the settings ipsec.conf and especially the IP addresses. I have also looked at the packets and the isakmpd debug output but all I can see is the peer offering a proposal that matches what is in ipsec.conf.

I'd like to see how isakmpd interprets the settings in ipsec.conf and isakmpd.conf and would like to compare those interpretations.

ipsecctl -nvf /etc/ipsec.conf shows the settings from ipsec.conf as they would be used by isakmpd but don't see how to do the same with isakmpd.conf.

How can I get the settings from isakmpd.conf and ipsec.conf in the same format so I can compare them?

Daniel