On Tue 01 Oct 2013 15:01:32 BST, Andy wrote:
On 01/10/13 14:32, Brian Hechinger wrote:
On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 09:19:20AM +0100, Andy wrote:
Also is there no way to have the CARP IP be the IP which is advertised
as the neighbor ensuring that traffic is always sent to the CARP IP
instead (I would MUCH prefer this!).
I spent an enormous amount of time trying to answer this same question.
What I ended up coming up with was that the answer was definitely not.

It's unfortunate and I no longer remember the exact reason why.

I wish I were wrong. Using the CARP interface for OSPF would be
wonderful.

-brian

I couldn't agree more!

Is there a way of ensuring that the CARP master is the one which is
FULL/DR, and the CARP backup is FULL/BDR?

At the moment I seem to have some of my CARP backup firewalls being
the Designated Router

Cheers, Andy.

Think I just answered my own question by not reading the documentation closely enough!

http://www.openbsd.org/papers/linuxtag06-network.pdf;
"The big change is that "redistribute connected" got replaced with a "interface
carp0". This ensures that the announced network depends on the interface
state of carp0. It is not recommended to use "redistribute connected" with carp(4) because the connected route is attached to the parent interface and so depends on the link state of that interface and not of the carp(4) one. The result would be that the router with the backup carp(4) interface will announce
the network as well."

Although, I would ideally still like the CARP backup to announce but for it to be the BDR as oppose to not announcing at all as the above seems to indicate.
I guess I can't do this.

Thanks :)
Andy