On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, James Griffin wrote:

> [...] But when people don't listen, or continuosly repeat themselves
> unnecessarily, the discussion digresses and becomes irrelevent and/or
> annoying for those of us subscribed to the list. That's the point I
> tried to make. Anyway, this is digressing too.

No. This was obviously not the "reason". The offenses did not come from
people that complained about the amount of Emails. And I was not in the
discussion alone: mainly I answered; if I repeated, then because people
did not understand me. Perhaps was the thema a little off-topic, but in my
oppinion not irrelevant, it deserves to be discussed, and an objective
discussion here was impossible. On the other side, I understand that such
discussions can be disturbing in a mailing list. This is one of the reasons
because I was for the existence of the old OpenBSD Usenet Groups.

In my opinion, the reason of the insults and diffamations is something very
primitive. For many people the operating system they use is part of their
identity (as for others their car or their mobile telephone). Without
their Operating System they feel to be no one. Belonging to a "community"
they feel as part of an elite. Insulting and diffamating people outside
make these feelings stronger, people insulting and diffamiting one individual
feel to be more together, they need it colectively from time to time.
Not to be part of it is a question of conscience, also of education,
from the ones that do it you cannot expect a much better behaviour.
BTW. The insults came together with the demand that I leave the list, not that
I stop posting about the thema: I was the enemy outside the "community".

Rodrigo.