On 10/09/2013 02:43 PM, Jeff Ross wrote:
I've got to upgrade some remote machines that I only have access via ssh.

I've been using a script based on the "Upgrade without install kernel"
for years.  I modified it slightly for this upgrade by adding

     /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd

to /etc/rc.local so the password databases can be updated and I can log
in after the first reboot.

But how do I make the remote system reboot?  Attempting to use the
/sbin/oreboot file I made in accordance to the "Upgrade without install
kernel" method fails with a "Bad system call (core dump)" error, as does
trying *any* command after base is extracted.

I think you are doing something wrong here...
/sbin/oreboot should be the old binary, which should -- and can! -- run on the old kernel.

I just did this last night, so I know it can work. :)

Are you using standard, supplied shells, such as ksh, sh, or csh? I could imagine that bash or something else would get really really unhappy there, but ksh et al. should be fully resident in RAM.

or did you happen to try "sudo oreboot"? that also would be expected to not work, not because of oreboot, but because of sudo.

Do an ls -l /sbin/*reboot, I think your /sbin/oreboot isn't what you are thinking it is.

Nick.