On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 19:40, Daniel Aurelio Galeazzo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After ~1 year of OpenBSD without need your help (FAQ and man
> are very complete) I've a question. I need to dual boot my HD
> for Linux Distro (I need Android SDK and I red can't use it into BSD)
> but I installed full crypt BSD since 5.3 via bioctl. It's not cleary for me
> where bioctl run into boot process, if between 1° MBR and 1° PBR
> bootstrap or beetween 1° PBR and 2° MBR (RAID) bootstrap.

It doesn't actually use bioctl. First, it helps to understand how a
normal boot works.

biosboot (/usr/share/mdec/biosboot) is the PBR. It gets copied into
place by installboot. (the file on disk isn't used for booting.)
bioboot loads /boot (this file is used) because it has an array
of block numbers hard coded into it by installboot. (If you move, copy
or delete /boot, your system will eventually stop working because
biosboot will load the wrong blocks.) /boot reads the filesystem,
loads the kernel, ...

With crypto softraid:
installboot copies /boot into a reserved area at the beginning of the
softraid partition. In this case, the /boot file isn't used during
booting. Then it copies biosboot into place, with the block array
filled in with the locations of the copy of /boot. /boot will ask for
your passphrase and decrypt the disk before loading /bsd.

The usual trick for dual booting is to jump to or copy the PBR
somewhere. That doesn't change with crypto.