On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 07:01:49PM +0000, Chris Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running a simple OpenSMTPD/procmail/mutt setup on the end
> of a hosted machine on 5.3. To access mail, I'm SSH'ing into
> the box and firing up mutt. However I need to get "occasionally
> connected" mail working on my laptop so I can read/respond to it there
> and deliver back to the hosted machine. I'm using mbox as the mailbox
> format at the moment. I may be offline for 2-3 days at a time.
>
> I'm considering doing the following things:
>
> * Move to maildir at both ends.
> * Set up OpenSMTPD on the laptop and set it to "pause mta" while
>   disconnected. Also set it up to relay through the hosted machine
>   via auth+TLS.
> * Write a script that will (when I know I'm connected):
>   1. unpause the MTA and flush the queues, then pause it again.
>   2. rsync (over SSH) the maildir from the hosted machine.
>
> Can anyone see any flaws in this plan or know of a better solution?

I run postfix on both my laptop and mail server, and then use UUCP over
a SSH tunnel to shuttle mail between them.  No special config is
required if the tunnel is down, incoming mail queues on the server and
outgoing mail queues on the laptop automatically.  When I connect to the
network again I just run uucico and the queues are flushed.  I don't
know if its the best solution, but I've been using it for years and it
it works great with a minimal of extra software.  One nice benefit is
that UUCP appears to be very tolerant of cruddy internet connections, so
even when I can't really do anything else on the internet I can move
mail.

Cheers,
Anders