On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 06:40:03PM +0100, Jes wrote:
> Sorry, I don't understand you. You says the problem is solved since
> yesterday (the snapshot my computer is running is from 03/11/2013), but at
> the same time you says the swap size is not bib enough, but it's more than
> the memory+64Mb (http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20120712101743).
> And, in fact, my laptop hibernated one week ago (more or less).

The "old way" (up until yesterday) entailed the following:

1. Check if the default swap device (the one printed in autoconf) was the
size of physical memory or greater. If not, abort hibernate.

2. Next, check if the range consuming the last "physical memory size"
amount of swap was unallocated (eg, on an 8GB machine, check to make
sure that the last 8GB was unallocated). If not, abort hibernate.

You probably had something swapped out into that end range, so we aborted.

But as Theo mentions, this discussion is moot due to the improvements
that went in yesterday.

> I have two swap partitions, sd1b and sd1j. The total amount of swap is
> about 12G. I think with the small one (more than 3Gb) the system
> hibernated, and with the 8Gb it did too.

We currently only use the default swap device. Any extra swap you've got
defined is ignored.