On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 04:13:27PM -0500, Jiri B wrote:

> Supermicro IPMI is crap. Use normal serial console and add a power strip
> which you can manage via ethernet to poweroff/power cycle the server.

Well, I can't say it's the greatest implementation ever, but arguably it
doesn't seem much worse than on my Sun or IBM servers.

The exact same IPMI SOL works fine under linux and illumos, so it
doesn't necessarily seem an underlying fault in the implementation. I
guess I could try booting freebsd on it and see if that works.

If I used a regular serial console, I'd need a terminal server to access
it remotely, I'd rather just get this working and avoid the extra parts.

I see com2 was actually disabled by default until recently, were there
historically problems using com2 under openbsd? Does anybody have a
serial console working on a physical com2 port? Maybe it's not the SOL
at all but just being com2 that's causing the problem. Unfortunately
there doesn't seem to be any way to make the SOL port use a different
ioport/irq :(.