>I can make sure that I unmount any externally mounted filesystems
>before suspending. Seeing as it's not going to be easy to fix, the
>man page for apm/zzz/ZZZ should probably mention that suspending
>while a filesystem is mounted is not supported.

I do not see the need for such a piece of documentation.  It is not
the filesystem which goes away, it is that devices known to not
be part of the machine are detached.  Upon resume, we have no way
of verifying they are the same and placing them in the same
configuration.  It is an obvious mechanism.