previously on this list Артур Истомин contributed:

> > > I think pop3 is dead but recently there was a mail in tech@
> > > stating Sunil Nimmagadda develops pop3 daemon closed to
> > > OpenBSD standards.
> >
> > That's a good point. I don't like leaving mails on the server for more than
> > day or so, but I don't see why I can't emulate this behavior on IMAP. I had
> > originally chosen POP3 because OpenBSD came with it batteries-included.
> >
> > There's still some research I need to do on my own, but it does look like
> > dovecot fits the OpenBSD mentality of security first in development.
>
> dovecot has more vulns. than other open source imap implementations all
> together.
>
> Dovecot: https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=dovecot (31)
> Cyrus IMAP https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=Cyrus-imap
> (3)
> etc..

I don't think that paints an accurate picture in this case. You will
see more for cyrus listed on osvdb.org than mitre many of which from a
quick look are more worrying than dovecots.

I believe Dovecot is used by more people and so is more likely to have
bugs found and still offers a $1000 for any root exploit.

Perhaps you know both better than me as I know Dovecot quite well but
not Cyrus but from a quick look at the documentation and website. Cyrus
seems to have far less pro-active security features that some of the
vulnerabilities simply bypass.

Good to know it has competition though, I've only ever looked at
Cyrus-sasl.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)