On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 09:55:04PM +0000, Franchini Fabien wrote:
> [...]
> I suggest to write a letter to theses companies who are known to using OpenBSD
> or other product-related like OpenSSH. In this letter we can explain (as the
> first
> post from Theo) our issue. I'm sure they can give us an hand if they know our
> problem. And in my opinion, ONLY a company can give us a long-term solution.
> [...]

Maybe to inject a further point into this discussion... One of these
companies is Apple. They replaced ipfw with pf in recent releases of
Darwin (see [0]).

Since, with Darwin being Open Source, they seem not entirely against
spending resources on Open Source Software, and they profit in no small
margin from the OpenBSD project and its "satellites" like OpenSSH, they
might be a good recipient for a polite letter in request of help. Not
the least because they could use their assistance in their marketing
("Look how cool we are, we are paying them their electricity!").

> [...]
> Sorry I'm not a native english-speaker and I can't help to write a letter
> like that
> but I'm sure that's realistic solution.
> [...]

Same for me. Still, if this is not entirely off the table, I'd be
willing to draft something.

> [...]
> Another solution is to approach the *BSD community. FreeBSD are bigger
> than us and how they'll solve these kind of problem ?
> [...]

Fewer architectures, more corporate backing, I'd say.

[0]:
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/darwin/reference/manpages/man8/ipfw.8.html

--
        Gregor Best