MJ [m...@sci.fi] wrote:

> On 16 Jan 2014, at 19.17, Chris Cappuccio <ch...@nmedia.net> wrote:
> > OpenBSD has already began incorporating NaCl by bypassing OpenSSL entirely.
>
> Good news - perhaps my philosophy is ?why lay a lot of small bricks here and
> there when you can lay a cornerstone and be done with it??. But perhaps I am
> not taking all things into consideration.

OpenSSH is a project that gets used outside of OpenBSD so the way NaCl was
incorporated makes sense to me... It allows OpenSSH to evolve the SSH
standard with a minimum of fuss and contention.

How new crypto primitives get incorporated into the rest of the system
depends on how the people who work on those systems see things.

> > I can't speak for the architectural issues but I can't imagine that I or you
> > are the only people imagining better cipher suites in the base system.
>
> You are certainly right - that would be just naive. The OpenBSD approach to
> things is generally to make the interfaces as simple as possible, drop-dead
> simple. This eliminates configuration mistakes. Take OpenNTPD for example -
> it?s simply beautiful what has been done with the configuration interface.
>
> A systemwide autocipher engine device could easily be incorporated directly
> in to PF, no? block all cipher hmac-sha1 (for example).

Block traffic with specific ciphers from traversing the network? That's sci.fi