On 2014-01-16, Matt M <cmorrow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There isn't any reason all the packages couldn't fit on a cd. Most are just
> a few bytes to a few kb, and a small number are into a few MB. Browsing the
> package list (for i386), it looks like the largest one might be 4mb.

Unfortunately we can only include a *very* small part of the package
collection on the release CDs.

The set of packages for 5.4 on the ftp site is nearly 40GB just for i386
and amd64 (and as usual, -current and so the next release 5.5 will be
bigger). For packages, you're talking one layer of a bluray disk per
arch, there's no way they will fit on a CD or even DVD.

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 7:28 PM, Mario <mario....@videotron.ca> wrote:
>> I guess the question is are all the binaries supposed to be on CD because
>> if I follow instructions as per booklet:
>>
>> % su
>> Password : <root password>
>> # mount /dev/cd0a /mnt
>> # /mnt/5.4/packages/amd64
>> # pkg_add emacs-21.4p23.tgz

these instructions may need a tweak for the next release...