Hi,

warning: off-topic and nostalgic.

Theo de Raadt wrote:
> Let's face it.  OpenBSD has this as a bug reducing mechanism
> available, and most other systems do not anymore, having decided to
> chase only the market-chosen architectures.  It is a true many-eyes
> "machined" solution.
>
> What other community has users who commonly run upstream software on
> 64-bit big-endian strict alignment platform with register windows
> adjusting the frames in odd ways, or 32-bit big-endian ones with mutex
> alignment requirements, or a pile of other requirements.
Few. Essentially only the "cousin" NetBSD.. Debian can match a bit, but
very little and it lost "pieces" in the past year.

The nostalgic part is for me that there is no new hardware, that is,
today I feel the landscape is boring. it's all x86-64/x86-32 and perhaps
lately ARM and its variants. SPARC64 still lives, but more as a shadow
from past times.

We used to have new 68Ks, MIPS, PPCs, Alphas, HP-PAs, VAXen.. just to
name a few of the mostt known glories that did run Unix.

I miss the variety of the ecoystem! Where is freedom left, if there is
little choice?

I admit that for the average guy running apache on a server or running a
browser and mail client, the fact that you have register windows or
big/little endian makes no difference. But it took out the fun, the
coolness and everything.

It's the bean-counter mentality and the fear to "think different" that
got us there.

When Apple ditched PPC, most people rejoyced, said "finally" and were
happy to run Windows on their Macs. (I did not).

Anyway, time passes.

Riccardo

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
riccardo_mottola.vcf]