On 1/31/14 11:59 AM, Holger Glaess wrote:
Am 31.01.2014 20:44, schrieb Matt M:
This may not be the most appropriate place to ask, but I figured a lot of
you are using Cisco on your networks.

I am beginning to study for the CCNA and I want to purchase at least one
Cisco router and a switch for a home lab. I don't want to spend a lot of
money unnecessarily, and have been looking at the 2600 routers. Since I
don't know anything about Cisco hardware, I don't know if this is too
old,
if it still applies in the industry, what I might be lacking in the
IOS and
the hardware capabilities, etc.

What would you guys recommend for a starter lab that will give me what I
need to apply to real-world networks?

hi

dont wast your mony for old cisco hardware.

everything what you need is the gns3 -> www.gns3.net.

and , maybe , the cisco packettracer.

i finish allready the ccna with this tools completly and i use these
tools for the ccnp certification too.

holger

Holger is correct.

Packet Tracer is the best tool for  the CCNA level training.

To replicate the labs you need you would need a couple of switches and maybe as many as 4 routers.

Cisco Academies use Packet Tracer almost exclusively for the training.
Everything you can get tested on can be done there.

You can find it for download on web in various places, though it is _supposed_ to be restricted to students at a Cisco Academy.

GNS3 is great, though for now you can't do IOS switches there.
People will tell you there are work arounds, and there are.

But if your objectivee is to train for and pass your CCNA, Packet Tracer is your friend.
--

IS-IS sleeps.
BGP peers are quiet.