On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 11:36:03PM -0700, howard eisenberger wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 06:21:03PM +0000, Neil Hughes wrote:
>
> > I've got an HP dx5150MT minitower of 2006 vintage, and with OpenBSD
> > 5.4 stable no USB devices are recognized whether they're attached
> > before or after boot. No console message, nothing appended to dmesg.
> >
> > Same thing happens whether I use amd64 MP or SP kernel - I'm about
> > to send dmesg reports but thought it worth querying here at the same
> > time.
> >
> > On the same machine USB works fine with XP.
> >
> > A lost cause?
>
> > ohci0 at pci0 dev 19 function 0 "ATI SB400 USB" rev 0x00: apic 2 int
> > 18, version 1.0, legacy support
> > ohci1 at pci0 dev 19 function 1 "ATI SB400 USB" rev 0x00: apic 2 int
> > 18, version 1.0, legacy support
> > ehci0 at pci0 dev 19 function 2 "ATI SB400 USB2" rev 0x00: apic 2 int 18
>
> With 5.4 on my dx5150, same onboard USB:
>
> APIC enabled in BIOS - nothing detected.
>
> APIC disabled in BIOS - USB pen drive detected, but not USB/IDE
> external laptop drive.
>
> AFAIK, onboard USB works fine with Linux.

I just got back to this and, to be fair, with Debian Linux USB pen
drive is detected, but not USB/IDE external laptop drive with APIC
enabled or disabled in BIOS. The same external drive with the same
USB/IDE adapter is detected and works with 5.4 on a couple of other
machines with different USB chips.

So, it looks like both Linux and OpenBSD have a problem with the
ATI SB400 USB.

> I ended up disabling the onboard USB and adding a NEC USB PCI
> card, which seems to work fine with OpenBSD 5.4

Regards,

Howard E.