>>> I don't know anything about wpa_supplicant, but does
>>>
>>>      # ifconfig rum0 nwid <nwid> wpakey <wpakey>
>>>
>>> work?
>>
>> No, it says it wants passphrase length in range from 8 to 63
>> characters, while the PSK-passphrase has 64 characters, unfortunately.
>
> Which is correct. A WPA passphrase must be between 8 and 63
> characters, or you can specify the key as 64 hexadecimal digits with a
> leading 0x.

Yes, you're right; after adding "0x" at the beginning it works! Thanks.

But that's not the end of the problems, unfortunately... :(

If I create - according to "man rum" - an /etc/hostname.rum0 file containing:

#v+
nwid <nwid>
wpakey <wpakey>
dhcp
#v-

...it simply during bootup says: "rum0: no connection, sleeping". Why is that?

Googling around, I tried to make it even more sophisticated:

#v+
up media autoselect mediaopt ibss mode 11g chan 2 nwid <nwid> wpakey <key>
dhcp
#v-

Unfortunately, all I achieved (during boot-up) is "active" rum0
interface, and attempts to DHCPREQUEST then DHCPDISCOVER with final
result "no acceptable DHCPOFFERS received". Therefore the trick works
in command-line - but not in "hostname.if"?
--
regards,
Z.